Powered by Blogger.

Painting Flowers with Jenny Doh


At the top of my list of things to 'improve' this year is my art.  At one point I was creating every day but last year that dropped away.  Moving house ate up a lot of my time but that's all behind me now and I'm determined to concentrate on art making this year.

When I saw that Jenny Doh was offering an in person flower painting class in her Santa Ana studio, Crescendoh, I jumped at the chance.

I've attended four workshops at Jenny's studio and each one is a special memory.  For me, the day starts as soon as I get in the car.  Even the fifty-five minute car ride seems magical as I drive by myself on the freeway (something I rarely do) I feel independent and optimistic.  Walking into Jenny's studio is an up-lifting experience - art work and supplies everywhere and always someone interesting and inspiring to chat to.

I know from Jenny's website and social media posts that she is a super-smart woman, well-read, an avid knitter, author, artist and musician and now I also know she is a super-generous teacher who has an amazing ability to roll up her knowledge and life experiences into meaningful anecdotes and analogies to illustrate and explain her painting instructions.

Sometimes we need permission to do even the simplest things and I felt Jenny gave permission to slow-down, speed-up, observe, edit, plan and use tools not normally associated with artists such as iphone apps.

If anyone reading this is on the fence about attending an in person lesson, and I do understand it's difficult to get away from the daily routine, but do it.  Put yourself first, just once, the benefits are so enormous I'm sure you won't regret it.


..